The Orpheum Theatre was originally built in 1926 as a silent movie house. Through several owners and a conversion to a three-screen theatre in 1984, it continued to show movies until it was closed in 1989. The Foxborough Regional Center for the Performing Arts, Inc. (FRCPA) was established in 1993 and purchased the building with the purpose of renovating and operating it as a functional live performance theatre. The theatre re-opened in September 1994 and housed several local community arts organizations, including Bay Colony Productions.rn
The theatre was designed to provide maximum flexibility and convenience to all of the performing arts. The comfortable auditorium seats 427 and allows each patron complete visibility of the stage. The theatre is climate controlled and is handicapped accessible to audiences. The computerized box office is attended 4 days a week, except during performances when it is available 6 days a week. The fully-equipped concession stand provides refreshments. The Orpheum gallery in the upper lobby hosts the works of local artists. This space also provides a comfortable meeting area for patrons and guests and can be easily used for meetings and receptions.rn
Bay Colony Productions was founded in 1999, a local community theatre organization dedicated to promoting the performing arts in the area through both high quality performances and devoted educational programs.rn
In early October of 2004, Bay Colony Productions Inc. purchased The Orpheum Theatre from FRCPA (Foxborough Regional Center for the Performing Arts). Bay Colony Productions continues to conduct business under the name of The Orpheum Theatre and presents professional quality stage plays, musical theatre, dance, musical events, youth theatre programs, charity events and concerts, movies and family entertainment.rn
Today, Bay Colony Productions at The Orpheum Theatre is recognized, respected and well-known throughout the area as a source of entertainment, education, cultural impact and influence in the community.